The Direct Debit Guarantee applies to all Direct Debits. It protects the customer in the event that there is an error in the payment of your Direct Debit.
Examples of an error are:
- if a payment is taken on the incorrect date.
- the wrong amount is collected.
Direct Debit Guarantee
- All banks and building societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits offer the Direct Debit Guarantee.
- The merchant must notify you if there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit.
- You must be notified at least 10 working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. When you request the merchant to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request.
- If an error is made by the merchant or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid.
- You must pay back any refund you are not entitled to.
- You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Most banks and building societies a cancellation can be done using online or mobile banking. Some banks may require written confirmation to cancel a direct debit.